Thursday, 11 April 2013

Hat-trick hero Dunwell makes it a happy Horden return for Mully


TOWN'S late bid for a promotion gathered momentum last night as a magnificent hat-trick from Mickey Dunwell and a strike from Col Anderson made it a happy return to Horden for Peter Mulcaster.

After an equally impressive away victory at Chester-Le-Street 48 hours earlier, Mulcaster's side overcame a sluggish start to ease to an important three points thanks to the finishing power of Dunwell and the energy of Anderson.

"Tonight we were made to work hard for our win," said former Horden boss Mulcaster at the whistle. "But in the end our quality showed through with a great treble by Mickey and another good goal from Col.

"It's difficult to explain why sometimes against lower sides you don't play as well as you can, but football is all about results and our last two games have been wins with 9 goals scored and only 2 conceded, a great return for all the efforts of the players."

With injuries still taking their toll, Mulcaster was only able to make two changes from the side that had started at Chester on Monday. Skipper Danny Shoulder, still nursing a knee injury, was replaced in the back four by Steve Banks, while Dean Hudson came in for injured goalkeeper James Briggs.

With the hosts battling against relegation this was never going to be an easy night for Town and Horden worked hard from the start. But slowly Mulcaster's side began to settle and Steve Butterworth, again employed in an unfamiliar left midfield role, shot wide from distance before Adam Emson and Dunwell combined only for Emson's cross to evade his strike partner in the 6 yard box.

Horden were forced into an early change when left-back Josh Andrews had to be replaced by Stephen Hookaday but they twice came close to grabbing the lead through the dangerous Darren Atkinson, who recently stepped down from the role of player-manager.

However, it was Mulcaster's side who did make the breakthrough midway through the first half. Emson was twice denied by Horden goalkeeper Grant McIver but when James Bowman returned the ball to the danger zone, Dunwell was on hand to finish from close range.

That settled the nerves and the points could have been sealed by the break. Anderson was bravely denied by McIver from point-blank range while the Horden 'keeper then made a fine stop from Emson.

But while it was only 1-0, Town were always vulnerable to a counter-attack and only a fine last-ditch block from Grant Hickman prevented Atkinson from an unlikely equaliser just before the break.

The second half saw Town start with more tempo to their play and they doubled their advantage seven minutes after the resumption. Again the impressive Bowman created the opportunity with a lovely cross-field ball to Anderson, who cut inside Hookaday before drilling a shot under the body of McIver, who may have felt he should have saved it.

However, Horden were thrown a lifeline five minutes later. Tricky winger James Murphy walzted into the area before going down under a clumsy challenge from Butterworth and Atkinson smashed the penalty past Hudson.

That led to difficult few minutes for Town as the Colliers sensed a comeback. Adam Kidson curled a dangerous free kick just beyond the reach of Murphy at the far post while Atkinson was denied by a Hickman block.

But Town weathered the storm and sealed the points with a third goal in the 63rd minute. Anderson did well down the right before the ball broke to Emson and his cross found Dunwell at the far post. The former Hartlepool striker controlled it instantly before finding the top left-hand corner of the net from 10 yards.

And it was 4-1, two minutes later. Andrew Porritt, again impressive at right back, whipped in a cross to the far post and Dunwell completed his hat-trick with a first time effort that McIver could only push into the far corner of the net.

Dunwell was then replaced by Craig Winter to a standing ovation from the travelling fans, and the big defender was given a run out up front following his fine recent run of goalscoring form.

With Town now in complete control they could have added to their tally in the closing stages. Emson saw an effort disallowed for a marginal offside decision, while Butterworth twice came close before Laing was somehow denied by McIver from point blank range in stoppage time.

"We go into another tough game on Saturday against a West Allotment Celtic side who, like ourselves, have been picking up results," said Mulcaster. "I just hope the players are all fit and raring to go again."

HORDEN CW - McIver, Brymer (Ryan), Anderson, Evans, Brown, Watson, Lonsdale, Kidson, Cain, Atkinson, Murphy. Subs - Gillespie, Hookaday, Lincoln, Brymer (Reece).

TOWN - Hudson, Porritt, Bowman, Banks, Hickman, Parkin, Anderson, Laing, Dunwell, Emson, Butterworth. Subs - Shoulder, Winter, Chillingsworth.

REFEREE - T. Chambers



  1. number of fans 50. 47 of them were northallerton lol

  2. To me, West Allotment will be no match for us in our present form, who's for another hat-trick !